Craving a delicious new dinner casserole to add to your menu this week? Check out this Simple Southwestern Casserole Recipe!
Following is a delicious dinner recipe and guest post from Holly Clegg with The Healthy Cooking Blog. ENJOY!
Now that school is almost back in session and all of the activities will be back in full swing, we are all on the lookout for quick and easy dinner ideas to feed and please the family! This Simple Southwestern Casserole Recipe uses family-friendly ingredients and Tex-Mex flavors to make the most mouth-watering hearty meal.
Kids and adults alike will enjoy digging in to this delicious dinner and it will be requested week after week. In fact, it’s my son’s favorite meal! Pair it with a simple green veggie like this Roasted Broccoli with Walnuts to round out your meal. You will love how quick and easy it is to prepare – letting nothing stand in your way of a healthy home-cooked meal. Plus.. it’s Freezer-friendly!
A zesty, meaty casserole with a biscuit surprise? You will be amazed at how extraordinarily tasty this simple combination is. This recipe has become so popular in my family and it’s one of my easiest quick family dinner ideas.
Southwestern Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (10-ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 (8-10 count) can reduced-fat refrigerator biscuits
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican blend cheese
- ⅓ cup chopped green onions
- Preheat oven 350°F. Coat 13x9x2-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In large nonstick skillet, cook meat and onion until meat is done; drain excess fat. Add enchilada sauce, tomato sauce, black beans and corn, stirring well. Cut biscuits into fourths and stir into meat mixture.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 25 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle with cheese and green onions. Return to oven and bake 5-7 minutes more or until cheese is melted.
Terrific Tip: Use kitchen scissors to make cutting biscuits easy.
Simple Southwestern Casserole from Holly Clegg’s Kitchen 101: Secrets to Cooking Confidence cookbook
Holly Clegg is a culinary expert, author, and blogger. Her easy healthy cookbooks, including the trim&TERRIFIC® and Eating Well series, have sold 1.5+ million copies, and she has been featured on The Harry Connick Show, Fox & Friends, NBC Weekend Today, USA Today, Web MD, Huff Post, and several other media outlets for her expertise. In addition, Holly has consulted for Walmart, Teflon, The Coca-Cola Company, and numerous hospitals across the U.S. She is also a regional columnist and corporate wellness consultant.
Then… check out more delicious dinner recipes below: